Hertfordshire Year of Culture 2020
Culture is taking centre stage during 2020, as part of a year-long campaign to showcase Hertfordshire’s creative opportunities.
To find out more, visit the HYOC2020 website, where you can sign up to the mailing list for news and updates. You can also follow @HYOC2020 on Instagram, Twitter and @HertsYOC2020 on Facebook to keep up to date with the campaign as it develops. #HYOC2020
Activities and events
Coronavirus (COVID-19): If you are planning to attend any #HYOC2020 events, please first check with the event organiser and consider the Government guidelines before attending. There is more guidance on the Hertfordshire County Council website.
December's theme is Celebrate and Illuminate
Across @HYOC2020 social media channels from 1 December we will be celebrating and shining a light on some of the fantastic things that have gone on this year, so keep an eye out for these posts. Also, after a year of celebrating creativity, HYOC2020 has got an exciting announcement coming. Stay tuned and follow HYOC2020 and Creative Hertfordshire for all the latest updates.
- Active Dacorum's 12 Days of Christmas - Join the Active Dacorum team for 12 days of online festive fun. From 1-12 December we'll be posting a short Christmas-themed activity each day on the Active Dacorum Facebook page that you can do at home and with your family.
- The Big Light Up: Electric Umbrella - You're invited to The Big Light Up with Electric Umbrella on Monday 14 December at 1.30pm, to celebrate the learning disabled community across Hertfordshire. Grab some tinsel, a couple of mince pies, and bring your festive cheer and celebrate in true Electric Umbrella style. Complete the online form to join this free event.
- Hemel Together at Christmas - Join the festive fun in Hemel Hempstead town centre on Saturday 5 December (10am to 4pm). There will be free rides on the land train, a DJ with live music and giveaways on the Rainbow Stage, plus a free wrapping station. Enjoy the merriment as you shop for Christmas.
- Winter mini reading challenge: Hertfordshire Libraries - Local libraries are encouraging families to read together over the Christmas period as part of the Reading Agency's mini reading challenge for children. Visit the website for details about how to take part.
- Life Drawing Reimagined - Join local artists Ruby Lewis and Lorna Carmen McNeill for free online life drawing sessions on 3 and 10 December (5.30pm to 7.30pm. For beginners and more experienced artists alike.
- Drawing for Beginners: Open Door Berkhamsted - Join artist Maud Eager via Zoom for a free taster session in drawing for beginners on 10 December (10.30am to midday).
- Santa's Sleigh: Rotary Clubs of Hemel Hempstead and Berkhamsted - Santa's Sleigh is planning to travel round the streets of Dacorum again this year, collecting for local charities. Check below for dates of routes and details on how to donate electronically and 'track' Santa on the night.
- Herts Visual Arts Christmas Showcase - From the comfort of your own home, you can browse the creativity of our vibrant artists' community. You'll find art, artisan-made gifts, homewares, decorative and functional items, including cards and stationery.
- Dacorum Creatives Christmas Gallery - The pop-up exhibition and gallery in The Marlowes Centre, Hemel Hempstead, will reopen on Friday 3 December with seasonal gifts and crafts. You can find the gallery in the shop unit next to Clintons.
- Christmas Tree Festival: St John's Church, Boxmoor - The annual Christmas tree festival is taking place this year from 17 to 22 December, with carols for all outside on Saturday 19 December.
To stay up to date with events and activities in Dacorum, visit the Active Dacorum Twitter and Facebook accounts.
For activities and events countywide, please visit the 'What's On' and 'What's Online' pages at Creative Hertfordshire or find events online by using the hashtag #HYOC2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19) funding opportunities
A number of organisations and funding bodies have announced financial support for community organisations, groups and individuals in responding to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. For more information, please visit our external funding page.
How you can get involved in HYOC2020
You can download an activity form to let us know any plans that you have, and you'll be sent a Herts Year of Culture toolkit with the logo, information and resources to promote your event. Visit the HYOC2020 website for details.
More events and activities across the county
For more events and activities in Dacorum and around the county, please visit the main HYOC2020 'What's On' events listing or find events and information online by using the hashtag #HYOC2020.
For further information about the county campaign, please email HYOC2020 Project Co-ordinator, Liz Gore, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about HYOC2020 in Dacorum, please email email@example.com.
HYOC2020 is supported by all 11 Hertfordshire local authorities. The Programme Board has additional representation from the University of Hertfordshire, Visit Herts and Trestle Theatre Company.